Tag: Qatar Grand Prix

  • Imola Builds Grandstands as Abu Dhabi Plan A Emerges for F1 Season Finale

    Imola Builds Grandstands as Abu Dhabi Plan A Emerges for F1 Season Finale

    Key Highlights

    • Formula 1 has authorized Imola’s Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari to begin constructing grandstands and preparing for a potential 2026 season finale as a contingency plan (Plan B) should the Qatar and Abu Dhabi Grands Prix be cancelled due to Middle East unrest.
    • Formula One Management (FOM) is covering all financial risks for Imola’s preparations, including temporary grandstand construction, ensuring the circuit faces no financial exposure regardless of whether the race ultimately takes place.
    • The decision deadline has shifted from mid-September to mid-October, with team principals confirming the new timeframe while emphasizing logistical challenges like European motorhome staffing rather than weather concerns.

    Formula 1 Activates Imola Contingency for 2026 Season Finale

    Plan B Preparations Underway Amid Middle East Uncertainty

    As Formula 1 enters the final phase of the 2025 season with three triple-headers on the calendar, attention has turned to the conclusion of the 2026 campaign. While the Qatar and Abu Dhabi Grands Prix remain scheduled as the season-ending events—constituting what F1 refers to as “Plan A”—the sport is actively preparing for a scenario in which continued unrest in the Middle East forces their cancellation. Behind the scenes, the green light has been given to develop a robust Plan B centered on the Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari in Imola.

    Sources within F1 have confirmed to Motorsport.com that organizers in Imola have now been instructed to build grandstands and continue all preparatory work as if the Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix will take place on the first weekend of December. This proactive stance does not guarantee the race will happen; Qatar and Abu Dhabi remain the primary target. However, Formula One Management (FOM) must press ahead with an alternative to guarantee a season finale after the Las Vegas Grand Prix in any eventuality.

    Financial Risk Absorbed by Formula One Management

    Building grandstands and maintaining full operational readiness without final confirmation carries significant financial risk. According to paddock sources, F1 is covering all those risks directly. This means FOM is fully paying for the preparations—including the construction of the temporary grandstands—and Imola will not face any financial liability regardless of the outcome. Should the Imola option ultimately prove unnecessary, this approach will cost F1 money, but the sport views it as a necessary insurance policy. If the situation in the Middle East escalates further a month before the scheduled races in Qatar and Abu Dhabi, F1 cannot afford to be without a ready-to-deploy alternative. The strategy also underscores F1’s desire to wait as long as possible before making a final decision, while acknowledging the substantial financial attractiveness of the final two race weekends in the Middle East.

    Decision Timeline Shifts to Mid-October

    F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali initially indicated a decision would be made in mid-September, but the evolving geopolitical landscape has altered that schedule. Several team principals now point to mid-October as the new timeframe for clarity, although F1 stresses there is no hard deadline. From a logistical perspective, there remains relatively little urgency at this stage, provided Imola is fully ready to step in by the first weekend of December.

    The teams have been informed of this reality and are not particularly concerned for now, a sentiment echoed during Thursday’s press conference in Baku. Haas team boss Ayao Komatsu stated:

    “I believe that Stefano was targeting to tell us in mid-October, right? So, we all know what the situation is. I believe that Imola is getting ready in case we have to do it. I think the challenges are, for instance, things like European motorhome structure, etcetera. All those people who look after them, they have a winter job, so we need to find alternative people to do that. But I’m sure we all, as a family, community, will make sure if we have to do that, that will happen. But hopefully, as a baseline, we can go to Qatar and Abu Dhabi. That would be really good.”

    Audi team principal Mattia Binotto shares the same view and confirms the mid-October timeframe.

    “As we discussed during the F1 Commission last Monday, mid-October is the last call for such a decision.”

    Teams Briefed on Logistical Realities

    Binotto does not see potentially low temperatures as an obstacle to a possible season finale in Imola.

    “The main challenges are more organisation and logistics, I would think. From a technical point, often we may say wintertime, snow tyres, but at the end, as a matter of fact, the average temperature in Imola in that time of the year is hotter than Las Vegas by the time we’ve got the race in Las Vegas. So I don’t think that’s a true concern. It’s more from the organisation and the logistics, really. And again, mid-October, hopefully we may do the right decision.”

    The primary logistical hurdle identified by both Komatsu and Binotto revolves around the European motorhome infrastructure. Support staff who typically manage these facilities have winter employment commitments, requiring F1 and teams to source alternative personnel if the Imola race proceeds. Despite these complexities, the paddock mood remains pragmatic, with a clear preference for the established Middle East finale but full readiness to adapt.

    Why This Matters

    The activation of a formal Plan B for the 2026 season finale highlights the increasing complexity of managing a global sporting calendar amid geopolitical volatility. Formula 1’s commitment to covering Imola’s preparation costs—estimated to be substantial given the need for temporary grandstands and full circuit homologation—demonstrates the high stakes involved in protecting the integrity of the championship schedule. The Middle East races in Qatar and Abu Dhabi are not only lucrative but strategically vital to F1’s commercial model, making their potential loss a significant financial and operational blow. The shift of the decision deadline to mid-October reflects a calculated balance: maximizing the window to assess the security situation while retaining enough time to execute a European pivot. For teams, the logistical scramble—particularly re-staffing motorhome operations deep into the off-season—underscores the human resource challenges that often accompany calendar fluidity. Ultimately, this contingency planning ensures that whatever unfolds in the Middle East, Formula 1 can crown its 2026 champions on track, not in a boardroom.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Why is Formula 1 preparing Imola as a backup for the 2026 season finale?

    Formula 1 is preparing Imola as a contingency (Plan B) because continued unrest in the Middle East creates a risk that the scheduled season-ending races in Qatar and Abu Dhabi could be cancelled. F1 needs to guarantee a finale after the Las Vegas Grand Prix regardless of geopolitical developments.

    Who is paying for the Imola preparations?

    Formula One Management (FOM) is covering all financial risks associated with Imola’s preparations, including the construction of temporary grandstands. The circuit will not face any financial liability whether the race proceeds or not.

    When will a final decision be made on the 2026 season finale location?

    While F1 stresses there is no hard deadline, multiple team principals—including Ayao Komatsu (Haas) and Mattia Binotto (Audi)—indicate mid-October as the expected timeframe for a final decision, aligning with discussions at the recent F1 Commission meeting.

  • Imola Could Return to the F1 Calendar in Place of the Qatar or Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

    Imola Could Return to the F1 Calendar in Place of the Qatar or Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

    Formula 1 may be forced to make a decision about the final races of the 2026 season as the conflict involving Iran, Israel and the United States continues to destabilise the Middle East and cast doubt over the Qatar and Abu Dhabi Grands Prix. An unexpected alternative has reportedly emerged, with Italy potentially preparing to host a second race on the 2026 F1 calendar.

    Could Imola host the 2026 Qatar Grand Prix?

    The 2026 Formula 1 World Championship is scheduled to conclude with the Qatar Grand Prix on 29 November. However, the race may not take place at its usual venue, Lusail International Circuit. Instead, the event could reportedly be moved to the Enzo e Dino Ferrari circuit in Imola.

    The possibility of Imola deciding the 2026 world championship is considered realistic, although several logistical and weather-related issues would need to be resolved.

    A decision is expected by 15 September, between the Spanish Grand Prix in Madrid and the Azerbaijan Grand Prix. Formula 1 will need to determine whether the final two scheduled races in Qatar and Abu Dhabi can go ahead. Qatar is due to host its race on 29 November, followed by Abu Dhabi on 6 December.

    Instability in the Gulf remains a concern, with the United States and Iran yet to reach a definitive agreement regarding the passage of ships through the Strait of Hormuz. With time running out, the organisational window for making changes to the 2026 calendar is rapidly closing.

    Imola could return to the F1 calendar

    Formula 1 president and CEO Stefano Domenicali is reportedly working to find a suitable way to conclude the 2026 championship. One possibility is moving either the Qatar or Abu Dhabi race to Imola, following the same principle that is expected to see the Bahrain Grand Prix take place at Malaysia’s Sepang circuit on 4 October.

    The plan would give Imola back the race it lost in 2023 after floods devastated the surrounding region. If the proposal goes ahead, Qatar could provide the budget for the event, with the promoter handling the entire promotional campaign. Race operations would be entrusted to ACI and Formula Imola, the company responsible for the Enzo e Dino Ferrari circuit.

    Under this arrangement, sponsorship revenue and grandstand ticket sales would go to the Middle Eastern promoter, while Imola would be reimbursed for the costs of organising the race.

    The proposal could satisfy all sides. Qatar, like Bahrain, would retain its place on the Formula 1 calendar, while Liberty Media would ensure that the season includes 22 races. That would help F1 avoid potentially substantial penalties from television broadcasters whose agreements refer to a 22-event championship.

    Imola would return to the calendar unexpectedly, while Geronimo La Russa, president of ACI Italy, would benefit from a second world championship race on Italian soil without having to fund the event. For Domenicali, it would provide an effective way to resolve the calendar situation.

    The teams have reportedly made provisional hotel bookings in the Imola area as a precaution.

    Fog could create a major Imola problem

    The Enzo e Dino Ferrari circuit would face a significant challenge if it hosted a race at the end of November: the risk of poor weather. The main concern would not be cold temperatures or rain, but fog.

    Fog could prevent the helicopters responsible for circuit safety from flying, bringing track activity to a standstill. With daylight hours becoming shorter, the event schedule would also need to be revised if the Qatar Grand Prix moved to Emilia-Romagna. Qualifying and the race would likely be brought forward to reduce the risk of darkness affecting the event.

    For now, the proposal remains confidential and has not been officially discussed. The hope is that US president Donald Trump will find a definitive solution to end the conflict he started with Iran. However, Italian fans would be excited by the prospect of the championship battle between Mercedes driver Kimi Antonelli and Ferrari being decided on home soil.

    Source: www.motorsport.com